Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Power of One

By: Krinda Joy Carlson
Intern with Ceitci Demirkova Ministries


There’s a method to my madness for writing my first blog about escaping life on the deserted island of isolation. I hope it at least sparked thoughts upon what we do with our hearts. For, though God instructs us to “guard” our hearts, He never told us to keep it from fulfilling its purpose – which is to love. If we are so drown in our own emotions, our own fears, and our own self doubt, how will we ever be able to see the needs of others and reach the nations for Christ – much less one person? And it all begins with one…

My dad is one of those “ones” who then sprouted to reach multiple other “ones,” and those multiples in turn are going after their “one.” My dad didn’t grow up in a Christian home. His childhood is riddled with parental splits, witnessing alcohol abuse, and an intensive work schedule, all starting at a very young age. When he entered college, someone finally explained to him that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the reason for our existence. This person who ministered to my father saw the need, and wasn’t afraid to answer the questions my dad asked. Because of the open heart of this individual, my dad entered into an authentic relationship with Jesus. From then on, he’s been opening his heart to others – he and my mother raised me and my three siblings to really seek God, not just know about God. Over half of my dad’s extended family members are now Christians also, because of his heart to give and share God’s love. And, everyday, my dad speaks into the lives of the people who come into his work office; weekly, one by one, people who come across his path are leaving to start their own personal journey towards knowing God. If anyone had a reason to retreat into isolation and harden himself from the needs around him, it was my father. Yet, instead, he kept his heart unblocked from the Holy Spirit, who guides us to touch the hurts and needs of others.

My point is – when we open our hearts, the Holy Spirit opens our eyes! We no longer stay focused on our own selves, but we really see others; and, when we see others through God’s viewpoint we can’t help but reach out to them, one by one.


Because of one college student who stopped to make time in his busy schedule for my dad, who was desperate for the source of real love and contentment…

Because my dad was determined to give love and healing, and not the hurt and pain he experienced growing up, to every-one who entered his life…

Because I was one of the recipients of my father’s open and giving heart, I am writing this for any-one it may inspire to reach their own one.

After all, it all started with One: “for God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son” (John 3:16). And the love of that One – Jesus Christ – is all we need to open our hearts and, in turn, open our eyes to reach the nations, one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment